Hawaiian Hand Applique Quilt
The flowers in this beautiful quilt are Anthuriums. Notice their heart shape and the colors of red, pink, light green and dark green. If you want to bring flowers home on the airplane, Anthuriums are your best choice. These flowers can last in a vase for 2 to 3 weeks. Be sure to trim an inch off the bottom of their long stems when you change the water once a week.
Ulu Breadfruit Design
Historically, women drew their own designs and flowers and fruit were popular choices. Notice that the fruit is one color which is a lovely shade of green. The back fabric is muslin. This is typical of historical quilts. This is a very beautiful design and a delicious fruit to eat.
HAWAIIAN HISTORY AND CULTURE FOR QUILT GUILDS
I've enjoyed sewing and quilting for many years. You will find the history of Hawaiian applique quilts very interesting. The agenda for this program is listed below:
* Captain Cook discovers the Hawaiian Islands. As a result of his discovery, a few important changes take
place to the Hawaiian people.
* Highlights of the four major islands: Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Hawaii (known as the Big Island).
* Historical 94th annual King Kamehameha Day Parade to honor our first king's birthday.
* Our music and hula dance (I am pleased to dance the hula for you).
* History of Hawaiian applique quilts are shared via slides. History of the women's unique patterns.
Find out what happened when the missionaries tried to teach the women to quilt (it is a funny story).
* Show a variety of things from the islands, as well as three applique quilt blocks that I sewed..
COST OF PRESENTATION
* The cost is $180.00 plus the current government mileage rate to pay for round trip miles and tolls. The cost of the program is subject to change without notice. After booking a date with me I will email you a confirmation letter and invoice that you must approve. You can be assured that I will not increase your costs once I receive your final approval.
THE HAWAIIAN APPLIQUE WORKSHOP
The main purpose of the workshop is to teach you how the Hawaiians designed and cut out their patterns. This preparation is an important step in the process. I will not be teaching you how to do the applique stitch, so it is required that everyone should know how to applique. I will teach you how to do "echo quilting" which is the method used to quilt your applique. In Hawaii these methods are still being used today. Your guild can select to sew the appliqué pattern to either a 16 inch pillow top or small wall hanging.
COST OF THE CLASS
The cost is $280.00 plus the current government mileage rate to pay for round trip miles and tolls. I prefer a maximum of 10 students so everyone gets the personal attention they deserve. The cost of the program is subject to change without notice. After booking a date with me I will email you a confirmation letter and invoice that you must approve. You can be assured that I will not increase your costs once I receive your final approval. Contact me for more details and questions.